Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ifs & Dinner

Some people feel that God is not blessing them but what they don't realize is that they are not doing their part. If we think we can live in disobedience but ask God to bless us we need to think again. I realized while reading the Bible today I think sometimes we miss the Ifs.

Deuteronomy 28:1-2 1If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God.


This does not mean we should only be obedient to God so that He will bless us, that is the wrong motivation entirely. It just means how on earth can we expect Him to bless us if we don't do as He asks? Would we reward our children for disobeying us? I think not.

Maybe when we aren't feeling blessed we should look into the Bible to see what commands we are forgetting to carry out. Mark 11:22-26 gives several commands, verse 22 tells us to have faith in God, verse 23 talks about releasing faith by speaking to mountains, verse 24 talks about the importance of believing in prayer, verse 25 tells us to forgive and verse 26 warns us that if we don't forgive neither will God forgive us.

Having a relationship with God is definitely a two-way street, we can't just expect Him to give to us while we do nothing to deserve it. Just something I have been thinking about lately because I think it is so easy to put him on the "back burner" and the "to do later" list.







Another topic entirely is dinner, it is marinating in the fridge and is entirely from scratch! (Well, I didn't raise the pig for the pork or grow the vegetables). ::laughing:: We are having pork fajitas and I have the homemade salsa from yesterday and I made the flour tortillas today. They are SO much cheaper to make than to buy! I can make a huge stack of them for about fifteen cents and they keep for quite awhile in the fridge and they freeze well also. I always roll them out by hand buy one of these days I am going to buy a tortilla press, when they go on sale they are under $10. I have been watching the thrift stores too but I will just BET you my handy dandy hubby could make one!

Our married daughter went to church with us this morning and that made me happy. She used to go to church all the time, even on her own when she was in college, but she hasn't so much lately. I am praying she will start going again, I don't care WHICH church, just so she nurtures her relationship with God.

It is raining and thundering and lightening and the rain beating on the windows makes me think of one thing, curling up in my chair with a book! The nonfiction book I am reading right now is The Remnant which is the tenth book in the Left Behind Series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins, they are awesome. I am also reading Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver (that one is nonfiction). Yes, I am strange, I almost always have two books going at once, one fiction and one nonfiction. ::laughing:: Okay, I am heading for my chair........

God Bless!

We know we are in trouble when we think we know what to do and stop asking God if we are doing it!

4 comments:

  1. I have to add that some people who don't think their recieving blessings may not be looking in the right places. Meme taught me that, in a round about way, when I was struggling with the death of my grandfather.
    There are a lot of times that we ignore what God wants and what God is doing in our lives simply because it's not what WE asked for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Art of Domestic living and giving me some advice about camera's. I hope to post about my decision soon. Nice to see you are from Michigan as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most welcome. I was blog surfing and ran into the camera question and couldn't help answering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you there Heidi. Just like sometimes we think He isn't answering our prayers because we don't get what we are praying for. He IS answering, he is just saying NO.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
My husband and I were high school sweethearts and have been married since 1977. We have both been Christians for years but it is only the last 4-5 years that we have been walking the walk as well as talking the talk and following Jesus. It used to be about relgion and now it is about relationships.