Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fellowship with God & Dinner

So I went to bed with spending more time with God on my heart and it brought to mind a rather long passage from one of the books I am reading, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. The author, Joanna Weaver, was actually borrowing from Robert Boyd Munger's Article My Heart Christ's Home. Munger's article talks about showing Christ around the house of his heart and when he got to the drawing room, it is this passage that spoke to me. It is a little long but difinitely worth the read.





We walked next into the drawing room. This room was rather intimate and comfortable. I liked it. It had a fireplace, overstuffed chairs, a sofa, and a quiet atmosphere.

He also seemed pleased with it. He said, "This is indeed a delightful room. Let us come here often. It is secluded and quiet, and we can fellowship together."

Well, naturally as a young Christian I was thrilled. I couldn't think of anything I would rather do than have a few minutes with Christ in intimate companionship.

He promised, "I will be here early every morning. Meet me here, and we will start the day together." So morning after morning, I would come downstairs to the living room and He would take a book of the Bible from the bookcase. He would open it and then we would read together. He would tell me of its riches and unfold to me its truths. He would make my heart warm as He revealed His love and His grace He had toward me. These were wonderful hours together. In fact, we called the living room the "withdrawing room." It was a period when we had our quiet time together.

But, little by little, under the pressure of many responsibilities, this time began to be shortened. Why, I don't know, but I thought I was just too busy to spend time with Christ. This was not intentional, you understand; it just happened that way. Finally, not only was the time shortened, but I began to miss a day now and then. It was examination time at the university. Then it was some other urgent emergency. Iwould miss it two days in a row and often more.

I remember one morning when I was in a hurry, rushing downstairs, eager to be on my way. As I passed the drawing room, the door was open. Looking in, I saw a fire in the fireplace and Jesus was sitting there. Suddenly in dismay I thought to myself, "He was my guest. I invited Him into my heart! He has come as Lord of my home. And yet here I am neglecting Him."

I turned and went in. With downcast glance, I said, "Blessed Master, forgive me. Have You been here all these mornings?"

"Yes," He said, "I told you I would be here every morning to meet with you." Then I was even more ashamed. He had been faithful in spite of my faithfulness. I asked His forgiveness and He readily forgave me as He does when we are truly repentant.

"The trouble with you is this: you have been thinking of the quiet time, of the Bible study and prayer time, as a factor in your own spiritual progress, but you have forgotten that this hour means something to me also. Remember, I love you. I have redeemed you at great cost. I value your fellowship. Now," He said, "do not neglect this hour if only for my sake. Whatever else may be your desire, remember I want your fellowship!"






Every time I feel like I am slipping in spending time with God, I re-read that and vow anew to make him a priority in my life.

On to less important things ... I haven't gotten to the floor yet, my body wasn't in the mood for it today and wants me to take it easier than that, so ::shrug:: that is what I shall do.

I do have dinner ready, something I haven't made since the kids were little, I am not sure what possessed me today, but we are having "pizza burgers", a quick and cheap meal. I am guessing about $3 for a family of 4-6.

Very simple -- brown off a pound of hamburger with a few onions and green peppers (if you like them), drain the grease, add a small can of mushrooms, parmesan-romano to taste and a small jar of pizza sauce (or make your own if you prefer). Put some of this mixture on hamburger bun halfs (I am using ones I made to go with BBQ earlier this week), sprinkle some mozzarella on top and put them under the broiler until the cheese melts. Quick and a real kid pleaser -- I will probably whip up a dinner salad to go with it and we are all set.

Sitting in a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car. ~~ Joyce Meyer







2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds yummy. I'll have to try that one with my family. I had something similar as a kid and MAN was it good, so I think the kids will love it.

    Thanks for leaving me a comment om my blog. Every little bit of encouragement helps.

    I feel it's important that everyone knows not to feels sorry for me though. As much as it stinks to live with an illness every day of my life, It's been more of a blessing to my family. Yes, we have our struggles with making the adjustments needed, but it has brought my family together in a way I would never have imagined. It has also helped to mend the relationship between my mother and I.

    I have been trying to read up on your blog and I have really enjoyed it. I have to tell you that the post for today is really inspiring. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to write about it on my blog and encourage people to check it out. I'm also adding you to my "blogs that give me insprtation" list. Hopefully you can be an insperation to others as well.

    As I said before, every bit of encouragement and prayers help so, thanks again. I'm glad we got the chance to get to know each other a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to blogging, though not to web design, so this is a whole new world for me. It is fun being able to get to know other people.

    I know what you mean about people not feeling sorry for you too. With all the problems my health has caused it has brought many blessings into my life also. Not a whole lot of women can feel such unconditional love from their husbands and see their family rally around them when necessary.

    Feel free to share the link, not sure how inspiring I am, I think of it more as just the ramblings of my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
My husband and I were high school sweethearts and have been married since 1977. We have both been Christians for years but it is only the last 4-5 years that we have been walking the walk as well as talking the talk and following Jesus. It used to be about relgion and now it is about relationships.